Simple Past or Past Continuous?
Choose which verb tense (simple past or past continuous) completes each sentence in a logical, natural-sounding way:
I ________. I didn't hear you come in.
a. was sleeping
2. I ________ to see her twice, but she wasn't home.
a. was coming
3. P1: What ________? P2: I was watching TV.
a. did you do
b. were you doing
were you doing
4. Robin Hood was a character who ________ from the rich and gave to the poor.
b. was stealing
5. P1: Hey, did you talk to her? P2: Yes, I ________ to her.
a. was talking
6. I ________ home very late last night.
b. was coming
7. How long ________ the flu?
a. did you have
b. were you having
did you have
8. P1: ________ a good time in Brazil? P2: Yes, I had a blast!
a. Were you having
b. Did you have
Did you have
9. We ________ breakfast when she walked into the room.
b. were having
10. Last month I decided to buy a new car, and today I finally ________ it.
b. was buying
11. I ________ when the waitress took my plate.
a. still ate
b. was still eating
was still eating
BACK TO LIST OF EXERCISES
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
RECOMMENDED ENGLISH COURSES (online & offline)
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT: info (at) learnenglishfeelgood.com
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.