Don't forget to check out our
grammar & vocabulary site:
HOLIDAYS: Anzac Day (April 25)
Choose the best word(s) from the following list to complete each sentence:
served, wreaths, consisting of, sunk, poppies, commemorate, soldiers, revived, battle, acronym
ANZAC stands for "Australian and New Zealand Army Corps."
2. The holiday is currently regarded as a remembrance of all Australians and New Zealanders who
and died during all wars and peacekeeping missions.
3. Anzac Day was originally created to
( = remember)
the soldiers from the two countries who died during the Gallipoli Campaign in World War I.
4. The popularity of the holiday
( = diminished)
during the 1950s and 1960s, but has
( = increased)
5. One of the traditions of this holiday is called the "gunfire breakfast" (a drink
coffee and rum), in reference to the type of "breakfast" many soldiers have before going into
6. Anzac Day parades are also common in cities and towns across Australia and New Zealand, with many former
( = ex-servicemen/women)
7. On this day, many people wear paper
( = a type of flower)
as symbols of remembrance.
8. A well-known ceremony is the laying of
(= flowers arranged in a ring)
at dawn at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra.
BACK TO LIST OF EXERCISES
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
RECOMMENDED ENGLISH COURSES (online & offline)
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT: info (at) learnenglishfeelgood.com
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.