HOLIDAYS: Cinco De Mayo (May 5)
Choose the best response to complete each sentence.
1. Cinco de Mayo (Spanish for "May 5th") is a holiday that celebrates Mexican (and Mexican-American)
2. It is more
) in the United States than in Mexico, where it is
3. A lot of people in the United States
) think that Cinco de Mayo is Mexico's Independence Day, which is on September 16th.
4. Cinco de Mayo commemorates an 1862 Mexican
) over the invading French army in the city of Puebla.
5. The holiday is observed by many Americans regardless of ethnic origin. This is especially true of those who live in areas where there are a lot of people of Mexican
) like California, Arizona, Texas, etc.
6. In cities like Los Angeles, San Antonio, etc., there are often special events (mostly music and folk dance), which
) Mexican and Mexican-American culture.
7. There are also
) Mexican games like breaking the piñata (a brightly-colored paper container filled with candy and toys).
8. In practical terms, many people (and bars) use Cinco de Mayo as an excuse to
) a Mexican theme party.
9. Increasingly, celebrations are emphasizing Mexican-American pride, a celebration of a culture that
) Mexican and American traditions.
BACK TO LIST OF EXERCISES
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
RECOMMENDED ENGLISH COURSES (online & offline)
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT: info (at) learnenglishfeelgood.com
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.