HOLIDAYS: Martin Luther King Day (third Monday in January)
Choose the best response to complete each sentence.
1. Martin Luther King Day
the birthday of American
rights activist, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. It is a federal holiday in the United States, as well as a state holiday in all the individual states.
2. This is a
) new holiday. It only started to be observed in 1986.
3. The idea to create this holiday was not supported by all American politicians. President Ronald Reagan, for instance, initially
) its creation.
4. Martin Luther King was a Baptist
). He lived in a time when black Americans (African Americans) did not have the same rights as white Americans.
5. MLK Jr. used peaceful
) to protest inequalities and to bring
6. In 1964, King received the Nobel Peace Prize for his non-
) efforts to end racial discrimination in the United States.
7. Throughout his life, King led many
) for civil rights and participated in many boycotts, peaceful protests, etc.
8. Martin Luther King was a great public speaker (orator). His "I have a dream" speech from the March on Washington in 1963 is well-known both in America and
9. M.L. King Jr. was
) on April 4, 1968, in Memphis, Tennessee.
BACK TO LIST OF EXERCISES
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
RECOMMENDED ENGLISH COURSES (online & offline)
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT: info (at) learnenglishfeelgood.com
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.