HOLIDAYS: Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
Choose the best response to complete each sentence.
1. Memorial day is an American holiday that is
on the last Monday of May.
2. The day is about remembering U.S. soldiers who have died in military
) to their country.
3. The origins of the holiday stem back to the American
) War. The day was created to honor
) Union (Northern) soldiers.
4. Many people still follow the tradition of visiting cemeteries and
) on this day.
5. Social-gatherings such as
) or barbecues are a popular way to spend Memorial Day. Despite the solemn nature of the holiday, many see it as a day of fun and
6. Memorial Day is considered by many as the
) start of Summer.
7. This holiday was
) known as "Decoration Day".
8. Many flags around the United States fly half-staff, or half-
), which means halfway down the flagpole.
9. In many other parts of the world, including Australia, the United Kingdom, and Canada, this holiday is known as "Remembrance Day", and is held on November 11. In the United States, November 11 is called "Veterans' Day", a day which honors all veterans
) and dead.
10. Memorial Day, due to its
) in the American Civil War, is not observed anywhere outside the United States.
BACK TO LIST OF EXERCISES
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
RECOMMENDED ENGLISH COURSES (online & offline)
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT: info (at) learnenglishfeelgood.com
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.