HOLIDAYS: Presidents Day (Washington's Birthday; Lincoln's Birthday)
Choose the best response to complete each sentence.
1. Presidents Day is an American holiday that is observed on the third Monday in February to
the birthdays of two great American presidents - George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.
2. Because the name of the holiday is fairly
, not all states focus on the same presidents. In Alabama, for instance, the day is known as "Washington and Jefferson Day".
3. The holiday isn't really about celebrating the presidents' birthdays. It's about remembering their
4. Schools in the USA use this time to
) students about American history,
) about George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.
5. Presidents Day is also the day when many stores around the United States have big
6. George Washington was a key figure in the
) of the United States, as well as the country's first president.
7. Abraham Lincoln is
) by many as being responsible for ending slavery in the United States.
8. George Washington died of natural
), while Abraham Lincoln was
9. Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation, a document that helped to
) slavery in the United States.
10. George Washington
) the American army to victory over Great Britain in the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783).
BACK TO LIST OF EXERCISES
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
RECOMMENDED ENGLISH COURSES (online & offline)
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT: info (at) learnenglishfeelgood.com
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.