HOLIDAYS: St. Patrick's Day (March 17)
Choose the best response to complete each sentence.
1. St. Patrick's day is the
holiday of the Irish people. It celebrates Saint Patrick, one of the patron saints of Ireland. It is an official holiday in the Republic of Ireland, and is
celebrated in many other English-speaking countries.
2. This day is all about having fun. Many St. Patrick's day parties
) around everything green and/or Irish.
3. Many cities around the world have St. Patrick's Day
). The biggest ones are in New York, Savannah (Georgia), and Dublin.
4. Part of the tradition is that one has to wear at least one green item of
). In parts of the world, children who do not wear anything green are either pinched, or punched in the arm.
5. One very
) symbol of St. Patrick's Day (mainly because it is a symbol of Ireland) is the "shamrock" - a three-leaf clover.
) lots of alcohol has, in many places, become synonymous with St. Patrick's Day.
7. In Chicago, the river is actually
) green every year for St. Patrick's Day.
8. Historically, Saint Patrick's Day was celebrated only as a religious holiday up
) about 100 years ago, when it became a public holiday.
9. You don't have to be Irish to celebrate this holiday. In fact, it is
) for non-Irish people to think of themselves as "Irish for a day" on St. Patrick's Day.
BACK TO LIST OF EXERCISES
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
RECOMMENDED ENGLISH COURSES (online & offline)
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT: info (at) learnenglishfeelgood.com
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.