HOLIDAYS: St. Stephen's Day (December 26)
Choose the best word(s) from the following list to complete each sentence:
in addition to, sevice, observe, including, saint, referred to, shortened, traditions
1. St. Stephen's Day is named in honour of St. Stephen, a Christian
(= holy person)
2. It is a public holiday in several countries,
3. St. Stephen is remembered for his
to the poor, and for being the first Christian martyr.
4. Many countries celebrate what is known as "Boxing Day"
( = in conjunction with)
St. Stephen's Day on December 26th.
5. In Ireland, the name of the holiday is sometimes
to "Stephen's Day".
6. In several other countries (and regions) where this holiday is celebrated, such as Catalonia or Poland, the holiday is simply
as "the second day of Christmas."
7. There are many old
associated with the St. Stephen's Day, and these vary greatly from country to country.
8. While Western Christians
the holiday on December 26th, Eastern Christians
it a day later, on December 27th.
BACK TO LIST OF EXERCISES
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
RECOMMENDED ENGLISH COURSES (online & offline)
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT: info (at) learnenglishfeelgood.com
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.