HOLIDAYS: Victoria Day (Canada)
Choose the best word(s) from the following list to complete each sentence:
long, informally, commemorates, hold, referred to, birthday, province, buildings, penultimate
1. Victoria Day is observed in Canada on the
(= next to last)
Monday in May.
2. It celebrates the
of the late Queen Victoria of England, the exact date of which is May 24.
3. The holiday is
( = unoficially)
considered by many to be the start of summer in Canada.
4. It is a federal holiday, but it isn't a paid public holiday in every
5. In places where it is a paid holiday, many workers enjoy a
( = three-day)
6. Canada is the only country in the world that
Queen Victoria with an official holiday.
7. Several Canadian cities
( = organize)
parades on this day.
8. On this day, the Union Jack (Royal Union Flag) hangs alongside the Canadian flag on all federal
across the country.
9. The holiday is colloquially
( = called) as "May Two Four" by many Canadians. This is a reference to both the date of Queen Victoria's birthday, and Canadian slang for a case of 24 beers (a "two-four").
BACK TO LIST OF EXERCISES
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
RECOMMENDED ENGLISH COURSES (online & offline)
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT: info (at) learnenglishfeelgood.com
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.