ENGLISH VOCABULARY PRACTICE
SAT/Grade 12 vocabulary 1
Complete each of the following sentences using one of these words:
exalt, cultivate, saccharine, philanthropic, stagnate, obtuse, banal, obsequious, debunk, pernicious
1. She managed to
several common misconceptions about Muslim women.
( = overly sweet) way of addressing people came across as fake.
3. He is a selfish man. He doesn't have a
bone in his body.
4. You wanted to hire someone who was quick-witted, but you ended up hiring someone who is
5. The president tried to
an atmosphere of mutual respect.
6. As a society, we tend to
( = put on a pedestal, etc.) sports stars and not teachers.
7. Instead of coming up with clever, innovative ideas, he just rehashed the same old
8. Instead of growing, the economy began to
9. We believe that the new measures will have a
( = very negative) effect on the economy.
10. I'd prefer you to treat me as your equal. Your
( = overly submissive) behavior is making me uncomfortable.
Back to list of exercises
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
RECOMMENDED ENGLISH COURSES (online & offline)
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
CONTACT: info (at) learnenglishfeelgood.com
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.