OTHER ESL TOOLS
US vs. UK English
ONLINE ENGLISH GRAMMAR QUIZ
PHRASAL VERBS 1 (TO HOLD)
Choose the correct preposition to complete each of the following sentences:
1. He held ________ (= robbed) a bank in Sydney.
2. Hold ________! = Wait!
3. You might want to hold ________ buying a house. = You might want to wait before buying a house.
4. She was holding ________ a miracle. = She was hoping a miracle would happen.
5. He couldn't hold ________ his feelings any longer.
6. My brother has never been able to hold ________ a job (= to keep a job) for longer than six months.
7. The government troops tried to capture the city, but the rebels held them ________. (= prevented them from doing this)
8. The phone was being held ________ by tape.
9. The flight was held ________ (= delayed) due to bad weather.
10. He held ________ the belief that she loved him. = He continued to believe that she loved him.
(Your answers will be displayed in a new window)
Back to list of exercises
OUR OTHER WEBSITES:
OTHER ESL WEBSITES
ADVERTISE WITH US
LINK TO US
unless otherwise stated. REPOSTING ANY OF OUR CONTENT ONLINE IS
. Please see our
before sharing our content.